Family Sues Landlord for $18 Million
A Baltimore landlord is being sued for negligence and wrongful death over a fire last year that killed a tenant and four of her grandchildren.
According to a news report, fire investigators concluded that the blaze was sparked by combustible materials stored too close to the furnace. However, the victims’ attorneys denies that determination, and says that the fire was caused by the landlord’s negligence. Specifically, the victims say that the furnace was not maintained properly, and that the landlord had a duty to install smoke detectors.
The victims claim that the tenant had complained to the landlord that the furnace was not working correctly. According to the report, investigators noted that the property did not have smoke detectors.
The victims have requested $18 million dollars from the landlord, according to the report.
With AAOA, landlords have resources at their fingertips. Check out our new Landlord Forms Page.
American Apartment Owners Association offers discounts on products and services for landlords related to your rental housing investment, including rental forms, tenant debt collection, tenant background checks, insurance and financing. Find out more at www.joinaaoa.org.