ATTENTION LANDLORDS: HAVE YOU TURNED GREEN?
Owners of multi-family housing have a unique opportunity to help safeguard the environment by lowering energy usage, reducing carbon emissions, and conserving water. Haven’t had your green meeting with tenants yet? Don’t know what to do? The City of Ft. Collins, Colorado, has created and posted a list of tips for apartment owners.
Here are a few of their suggestions to get you started:
- install compact fluorescent light bulbs
- transition to Energy Star appliances
- repair leaky faucets and toilets right away
- prohibit parking lot car washing-professional car washes are equipped to protect storm water
- participate in alternative transportation options
- ask your tenants to shop and eat locally
- ask tenants to consider sharing equipment and tools rather than purchasing individually
- encourage the use of non-toxic cleaners
- use low flow shower heads
Don’t anguish over environmental concerns – do something about it!
Share your green tips with other landlords. Post your comment below.
American Apartment Owners Association offers discounts on products and services related to your commercial housing investment, including tenant debt collection, tenant background checks, insurance and financing. Find out more at www.joinaaoa.org.