How to Prevent Emotional Support Animal Discrimination Lawsuits
Emotional support animal requests have become borderline absurd as of late, leaving landlords confused and vulnerable to lawsuits. We’ve invited Attorney/Author, Robert Friedman to provide updates on the latest laws and answer these frequently asked questions:
- What is the difference between a service animal, a therapy dog, a psychiatric service dog and an emotional support animal (ESA)?
- Does an ESA need specialized training?
- What exceptions are there to the law?
- What documentation may a landlord request from the tenant who needs an ESA?
- Can the landlord charge a pet security deposit or extra rent for an ESA?
- Can animals other than cats and dogs act as ESAs?
- How much are tenants being awarded for discrimination against ESAs?
- What special lease language should be used for ESAs?
- What laws protect the landlord if the tenant misrepresents the need for an ESA?