- Tries to entice you by offering to pay cash
- Starts to negotiate before you show them the unit
- Wants to pay the deposit in installments
- Asks you not to call the current landlord because they haven’t given notice yet
- Tries to flatter you or fast-talk about how perfect they are before you ask
- Can pay you “just as soon as” tax rebate, new box of checks, settle insurance claim, next payday…
- Hasn’t been at any one job for at least a year
- Wants to barter repairs or other services for rent
- “Forgets” to fill out a couple things on the application, can’t remember past addresses, reference phone numbers, etc.
- Addresses on application, drivers’ license or car registration don’t match, or are not the current address given
Copyright 2010 American Apartment Owners Association
See our feature, Tenant Screening Tips for Today’s Economy.