4 Easy Ways to Start Your 2013 Tax Planning and Save Money

by Thomas F. Scanlon, CPA, CFP®

The New Years celebrations are over.

The New Years Resolutions are starting. We will see how long they last.

Many people feel income taxes are going up. Im confident they are for the higher income earners.

Now its time to start your 2013 tax planning. Here are 4 easy ways to start:

1) Set up a Folder for Your Documents
It doesnt matter if it is a physical folder or an electronic folder. Just have a file set up and put in there, all of the key documents you will need including:

Pay Stubs

Estimated Tax Payment Vouchers

Charitable Donations

Property Taxes

Medical Expenses

Unreimbursed Employee Expenses

Health Savings Account Activity

2) Monitor Your Withholding
You will have a better idea of your 2013 tax obligation after you have completed your 2012 return. This will be the starting point for possibly adjusting your withholding. Ideally, you dont want to get a huge refund. You also dont want to have a big tax obligation next spring.

3) Review Your Estimated Tax Payments
Employees have federal and state income tax withheld from their paycheck. Many other sources of income dont have withholding. This would include:

Self-Employment Income

Partnership Income



Capital Gains

Estimated taxes are due on January, April, June and September 15th. Complete IRS Form 1040-ES for the federal estimated tax payment. Connecticut taxpayers need to complete Form CT-1040-ES.

Failure to have enough income taxes paid either through withholding and/or estimated tax payments will result in an underpayment penalty. To avoid this penalty, taxpayers whose prior year adjusted gross income was under $150,000 need to have paid in 100% of the prior year tax. For taxpayers whose prior year adjusted gross income is over $150,000 they need to have paid in 110% of the prior year tax.

4) Review Your Required Minimum Distribution
Taxpayers over age 70 1/2 must take their required minimum distribution (€œRMD€) from their IRAs and 401(k) plans. This must be done by April 1st of the year following the year you turn 70 1/2. The failure to take the RMD results in a penalty of 50% of the amount that should have been taken. Thats not a misprint; its a 50% penalty.

Take these 4 easy steps to start your tax planning and save money.

If you need assistance with your tax planning please give us a call.

Thomas F. Scanlon, CPA, CFP® is with Borgida & Company, P.C., Certified Public Accountants in Manchester, Connecticut, celebrating 44 years of tax, advisory and accounting services. Please call (860) 646-2465 or email [email protected] if you would like more information.

See 5 Easy Steps to File Your 1099’s… Guaranteed!

With AAOA, landlords have resources at their fingertips. Check out our new Landlord Forms Page.

American Apartment Owners Association offers discounts on products and services for landlords related to your rental housing investment, including landlord forms, tenant debt collection, tenant background checks, insurance and financing. Find out more at www.joinaaoa.org.