By:Brendan Gill SERVIZ
As our rivers, lakes and reservoirs recede before our very eyes, it is becoming increasingly important to find ways to save water. Fortunately, there are dozens of ways to save this precious natural resource that require little or no monetary investment.
Try these 10 Water Saving Tips to save water in the kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, pool area and lawn. With a few simple lifestyle changes, you can save up to 28,000 gallons a year.
1. A point-of-use tankless water heater can save thousands of gallons of water by cutting down on “warm up” time. Savings: 1,000s gallons / year
2. Use a low flow shower head to save 15 gallons of water during a 10 minute shower. Savings: Over 5,000 gallons / year
3. Upgrade to a high-efficiency WaterSense® toilet and save 1,200 gallons of water a year. Savings: Up to 1,200 gallons / year
4. Install low flow aerators on your faucets and cut your water usage by 40%! Savings: Up to 40%
5. Save 5,000 gallons of water a year by using Energy Star dishwashers rather than washing dishes by hand. Savings: 5,000 gallons / year
6. Fix leaks under your home, in your kitchen, and in your bathroom to save up to 2,500 gallons. Savings: Up to 2,500 gallons / year
7. When doing laundry, make sure you match the settings on your machine to match the size of the load to save 1,300 gallons a year. Savings: Up to 1,300 gallons / year
8. Use a sponge and a bucket to wash your car rather than a running hose. Savings: Average 840 gallons / year
9. Replace your lawn’s grass with drought resistant plants. Check to see if you are eligible for rebates atdwp.lacounty.gov and sandiego.gov. Savings: 2,500 gallons / year
10. Install a pool cover to prevent losing as much as a quarter inch of water a day to evaporation. Savings: 8,000 gallons / year
Brendan Gill is a writer and blogger for SERVIZ with 10 years marketing experience. He has written extensively about home improvement products and services, as well as the California Drought.