Hiring the Right People: Fill In Your Gaps
By: Elaine Simpson Founder:Occupancy Solutions LLC.
When it is time to bring in new people to work with or for you, it is up to you to hire people that fit well into your team. Often times, it is easy to hire people who “fit in” and “mesh well” with the current staff. After all, you want your staff to get along. However, it is also important to consider what your staff does not have and what it needs. What traits, qualities, and experiences can someone else bring in to your organization that could help you to improve
it? Even the most experienced, well-rounded manager cannot have all of the skills necessary to do the job perfectly. What is lacking at your location that a new hire can help you with?
HIRE PEOPLE THAT BENEFIT THE TEAM
How can you fill the gaps? Hire people that are different from those you have right now. Having a team that’s diverse in their skill, experience, and even work ethics can help you to boost the success of your organization. Here are some tips to get a better understanding of your options.
- Do you have a team of people that are very friendly? It may pay to hire someone that is very different from this. This person can help you to keep everyone accountable.
- Perhaps you have an employee that’s hard working and does an excellent job. Yet, this person has trouble with following through on staff. You may find that this is one of your areas of weakness as a property manager. Hiring someone that is very thorough and able to interact with in conflict situations is the ideal candidate for this type of position.
- Do you need staff that’s more experienced? Perhaps you need someone from a different industry that can give you a different view on the way you can handle things like preventative maintenance, employee turnover, or property value.
Look at your staff today. What do you wish you had? Why do you need more people? Often times, it helps to pinpoint the exact type of person that is right for your business by looking at what other employees may be lacking.
- Does your maintenance staff do a thorough job but takes a long time? Would it be nice to have someone that was full of energy and able to finish faster?
- Do you have employees that do a great job providing phone answering services, but you need someone that is better capable of handling resident retention?
- Does your crew need someone that will hold them more accountable for their responsibilities?
It takes just a few minutes of thinking about your current crew to find out what’s lacking. Do not just consider what types of positions you have open, but what types of skills and work ethics you have openings for. Who will compliment your team? Who can provide you with the tools and resources you need to take your good team to the next level?With over 26 years of experience in the multifamily industry, Elaine Simpson founded Occupancy Solutions, LLC to provide site operations, marketing, leasing consulting and training services for multifamily professionals of market rate, senior and affordable housing communities throughout the United States. Occupancy Solutions, LLC, recognizes and tailors to the unique operational, marketing and leasing challenges faced by their clients to assist distressed communities with proven cost effective techniques and strategies
to achieve optimal occupancy while realizing ideal rents and reducing expenses.
Ms. Simpson is a National Speaker, NAA EI Faculty Member, Michigan licensed real estate broker, a Certified Senior Real Estate Specialist, an Accredited Resident Manager and a Certified Assisted Housing Manager.