Make Conservation Your Guiding Principle in 2023
2023 is here! Whether you set resolutions or not, a new year is a natural time to think about building and bettering properties for the sake of business growth and development. Of course, your net operating income is important – it’s the single best metric of the health of your business. But in 2023, we want to encourage property owners to lead with a fuller landscape that includes not only monetary gain, but care and concern for the health of your tenants, properties and the environment. Let this year be a bolder and more holistic one with conservation taking a lead as one of your guiding principles.
Benefits of Conservation as a Guiding Principle
Exercising good practices in conservation simply makes sense for the earth and for living well, as well as for your financial interest. We know that conversation efforts, big and small, impact the environment and, therefore, are a service to the greater good and generations to come while honoring Mother Earth.
But making conservation a guiding principle will also make for happier renters and more money in your pocket. Your tenants will be happier to rent from a housing provider who cares for the environment and they will appreciate the attention, routine maintenance, and attention to systems and appliances that a focus on conservation naturally addresses. Attention to energy efficiency in your buildings may require an initial investment in time and money, especially if you are just starting out with saving energy and water. But in the long run, good energy saving practices save you time, money and headaches for both you and your renters in 2023!
How to Get Started
If you are just beginning to get involved with conservation efforts, there are numerous ways you can begin. It can be a daunting task to undertake, but doesn’t have to be. Livable provides resources to property owners like you to help you learn where to start at your properties to aid in saving you both resources and money in the long run.
Check out these few simple ideas for getting started and implementing conservation efforts at your properties.
- Replace your building’s water tank with a newer, more efficient one.
- Switch to LED light bulbs in your apartments and common areas.
- Opt for energy-efficient models when it’s time to replace kitchen appliances.
- Be sure to properly weatherize your buildings to ensure cold air isn’t leaking in and precious energy leaking out.
- Perform a regular audit for any leaks in the sinks and water lines of your buildings.
- Regularly inspect and replace toilet tank flaps to prevent annoying “running toilets.”
- Consider replacing lawns with a landscaped garden or a combination of garden types such as rock, produce or floral. They’re ultimately less costly than maintaining a green lawn and can be a way to build community.
- Provide conservation resources to your tenants which are readily available at our website. Simple awareness of their consumption habits can lead to a reduction in use.
Whether your properties are ready to be leveled up in conservation efforts or just beginning, there’s no better time to improve than here and now in 2023. Do your research and find the most practical options that fit your property and budget. By making conservation a guiding principle in 2023, you will look back on the year with a sense of pride having done your part to foster growth and vibrance for yourself, your renters, your properties and the earth.
Livable and the Independent Rental Owner
Check out how you can use Livable’s tools to reduce how much energy and water your tenants use and recover up to 90% of your utility costs. Our Ratio Utility Billing System allows you to fairly bill your residents for their share of utility use, including Wi-Fi, water and electricity (no matter its source). We also help you educate residents so they are inspired to conserve resources.
We understand that Independent Rental Owners are one of the largest investor groups in the US – and one of the most underserved. We’re here to change that. Come save with us!