It would seem a given that every person in the country is aware of what to do regarding the current epidemic. In reality there seems to be quite a bit of misinformation and confusion regarding the best course to take. It’s important to let employees know that their employer is taking this situation seriously.
The safest course would be for all to perform their tasks working remotely from their homes if possible. If you must maintain a presence in the workplace for yourself or your workers some consistent policy should be established and understood by all.
- Check employees’ temperatures as they enter the workplace.
- One individual in your organization should be assigned to monitor employee health and adherence to guidelines.
- Create a communication plan to coordinate those working remotely and on site.
- Avoid face-to-face meetings as much as possible. Telephone or internet (email or meeting websites) are preferred.
- Keep employees informed regarding current developments in the effort to combat the epidemic, ensuring accurate information is passed on to avoid rumor and inconsistencies.
- Interview each employee to determine if they are uncomfortable in the work environment. These individuals may need some time off. They may wish to take paid sick leave or vacation time. They may wish to take an unpaid leave of absence.
Click here for safeguarding the workplace guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Morale should be considered when interacting with all involved. Employees may be experiencing issues outside of the workplace. School are not in session and daycare may not be available. Bad news about the economy and the fear that they or a close relative may contract the disease weigh heavily on attitudes. Honest communication about the state of the company and their jobs is necessary. This includes regular contact with on and off-site workers.
A Good Employee is an affiliate of The American apartment Owners Association offering full background search services for employers. Visit https://www.agoodemployee.com/ for more information.