Tip #158: The Heat is On
Hot, humid weather is in the forecast for much of the country, and that means mold and mildew growth could soon be plaguing your rental property, especially in areas hit by flooding over the past months.
ZEP, a leading producer of cleaning and maintenance solutions, has just launched a product designed to prevent mold and mildew.
The antimicrobial spray, called Clear Shell„¢ because its primary ingredient is crab shells, is a spray-on barrier that the company claims offers unmatched protection against mold and mildew and other bacterial growth that can cause home damage and health issues.
Third-party testing on vinyl and wood found that Clear Shell„¢ minimized mold and mildew outbreaks that often result in costly home repairs and preventable health problems.
Zep offers these additional tips to remove mold and mildew, and stave off an all-out damage:
1. Fix leaks and water sources and reduce humidity as much as feasible before conducting the clean-up.
2. Use Zep Commercial® Mold & Mildew Stain Remover or All-In-One Premium Pressure Washer Concentrate to remove mold from hard surfaces.
3. Completely dry the surface and remove absorbent or porous surfaces that have been significantly damaged.
4. Do not paint or caulk over a moldy surface.
5. Spray Clear Shell on surface in smooth, even strokes, holding sprayer 6 to 12 inches from surface.
6. Allow to dry before using the surface.
For larger, more intensive mold and mildew projects, a remediation expert is recommended.
Zep Commercial Clear Shell is available at retailers, home improvement centers and hardware stores nationwide. Consumers and professionals can learn more about Clear Shell at www.zepclearshell.com.
Zep Commercial products have won industry-wide recognition, including the Golden Hammer Award from Home Channel News magazine.
See last week’s Landlord Quick Tip.
American Apartment Owners Association offers discounts on products and services for landlords related to your rental housing investment, including rental forms, tenant debt collection, tenant background checks, insurance and financing. Find out more at www.joinaaoa.org.