Open/Close Menu
Your Rental Housing Solution
Home · Property Management · Landlord Quick Tips : Landlord Quick Tip
Print Friendly

Tip #113: Where’d Ya Go?

envelopeHaving a forwarding address for a tenant who is leaving is a crucial bit of information.

If a tenant leaves without saying goodbye–or leaving a forwarding address, their mail, including any mandatory accounting for the security deposit, can be sent to the rental property address, with instructions that you be notified if a forwarding address has been registered.

To accomplish this, simply write ADDRESS SERVICE REQUESTED on the envelope, either under the return address, above the tenant’s address, or to the left or bottom of the stamp (don’t write on the stamp).

There is a nominal fee for the service — under a buck, and worth every penny!

See last weeks Landlord Quick Tip.

American Apartment Owners Association offers discounts on products and services for landlords related to your rental housing investment, including rental forms, tenant debt collection, tenant background checks, insurance and financing. Find out more at

Print Friendly
  • M Greer

    I was told by the post office that only a business can get this service now.

  • Bill Clayton

    Better idea is to send the letter to the rental address “Certified, signature required and Return Requested” If the mail is being forwarded, it will get to the tenant, and you will have their signature that they received it. If they don’t pick it up, it will come back to you sealed, and you will have proof that you mailed it. The signed return card can be done electronically, and is cheaper.

    Also a good idea to have a phrase in your contract which specifies that all written communication to the tenant will be sent to the property address, unless the tenant provides a forwarding or other mailing address in writing to the landlord.

Copyright © 2004 - 2017 All Rights Reserved.