Go Green – and Keep Your Oven Clean!
by Julie Murphy
As apartment owners, keeping properties clean and protecting high cost assets like appliances are a top priority. That’s why, when it comes to cleaning kitchens, in particular–ovens–, it pays to think of cost-effective , environmentally friendly options.
Instead of using harsh aerosol cleaners or the “self-cleaning” cycle, both of which emit dangerous fumes, why not consider an oven liner?
An FLX oven liner is a non-stick, easy to clean, re-usable liner that catches spills and debris from cooking. Simply place it in the bottom of the oven and when dirty, just remove it and rinse with warm water. This should not take more than a few minutes. No scrubbing, no harsh odors and no extra energy costs to heat the oven.
There are 2 primary environmental reasons to use an oven liner:
Noxious fumes and odors
- Whether using aerosol spray cleaners or the “self-cleaning” cycle, both emit fumes that are dangerous to be around.
- The “self-cleaning” cycle seems easy, but is truly terrible for the environment, in several ways:
- During this cycle, the oven is “super heated” to 900 degrees. The debris left from cooking is turned into carbonated ash.
- Research suggests that this causes eye irritation and that the fumes released are bad to breath for both humans and pets.
- Also, after the cycle is finished, you still have to wipe away some ash at the bottom.
Cost of energy
- Energy costs rise dramatically to “super heat” the oven.
- This can range from $4.00 to $8.00 per cleaning cycle and the average recommendation is to use a cycle once every 2 weeks.
- That adds up!
We all need to be aware of the effects of our actions on our environment. By using an easy, environmentally friendly option to take care of an important asset, apartments owners can do their part to help keep living spaces safe and clean.
FLX oven liners are available on line atwww.ksodirect.com for approximately $15-22 each and usually last over a year. It’s a small price to pay to help keep the apartment green for your client, AND to make a nasty cleaning job a thing of the past!
To see other articles on oven liners, click here.
Check out our Green Pages for information on money saving tips that help the environment. Once there, click on the Green Forum to see more articles.
American Apartment Owners Association offers discounts on products and services related to your commercial housing investment, including real estate forms, tenant debt collection, tenant background checks, insurance and financing. Find out more at www.joinaaoa.org.
To subscribe to our blog, click here.