Open/Close Menu
Your Rental Housing Solution
Home · Property Management · Make Extra Money : Lower Your Electric Bills Now

Woman throwing moneyEvery time you start up an appliance that runs on a motor, electricity is drawn into your home. Your meter spins, tracking usage, and your bill is calculated on that amount. But not all of the electricity that is metered is actually used.

A lot of it is wasted. You’ve paid for it, but it never gets used in your home or business.

“Power factor” is the term that describes the percentage of electricity thats delivered inside and used effectively, compared to what is wasted. For example, a 1.0 power factor means that all the electricity thats being delivered to your home is being used effectively for its purpose. However, most homes in America today have a .77 power factor or less. This means that 77% of the electricity that is coming through your meter at your home or business is being used effectively, the other 23% is being wasted. With a low power factor, the utility has to deliver more electricity to do the same work.

Ben franklinHowever, there is a cost-effective technology that changes all that. Available from FreeEasyGreen.com, the “Power-Save” is a little gray box that mounts neatly beside your electrical panel, and increases that power factor in most cases to .97 or .98, thus increasing the effective use of your electricity and lowering your usage.

What does that mean? An immediate reduction in your electric bill.

The Power-Save reduces the amount of power drawn from the utility by storing in its capacitors otherwise lost electricity caused by the inductive motors in your home — things like air conditioning units, refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers, dishwashers, pool pumps, vacuum cleaners, furnace blower motors, and fans. The technology applied by the Power-Save supplies that stored electricity back to your inductive loads, thus causing you to decrease your demand from the utility. If you decrease your demand from the utility, your meter slows down, and you use less electricity. This whole process is called power factor optimization.

Youve already paid for that electricity, why pay for it and waste it when you can pay for it, store it, and reuse it again?

This technology is not new. It was originally developed by NASA in the 1970’s. In the past, we’ve enjoyed a relatively low rate of electricity, about 4 cents per kilowatt hour. But now, with rates as high as 33 cents, we are compelled to rethink our power usage. The Power-Save is one way to do just that, especially where it hasn’t been cost-effective for a landlord to upgrade appliances.

Power-Save units are available for both commercial and residential use. They can be installed easily as long as you have a circuit breaker panel with breaker switches and not the old screw in type fuses. The unit will work on any single-phase electric application for homes.


The Power-Save unit also serves as a surge protector for many common home electronics. FreeEasyGreen.com guarantees the unit will reduce your electric bill. There is a “no questions asked” 60-day money back guarantee. Residential units start at $299. Independent studies, including one conducted by CBS News, have shown the unit can pay for itself in 6-18 months depending on usage.

For more information, see FreeEasyGreen.com.

Check out our Green Pages for information on money saving tips that help the environment. Once there, click on the Green Forum.

American Apartment Owners Association offers discounts on products and services related to your commercial housing investment, including real estate forms, tenant debt collection, tenant background checks, insurance and financing.

Find out more at www.joinaaoa.org.

To subscribe to our blog, click here.

Copyright © 2004 - 2016 AAOA.com. All Rights Reserved.